OU FAST BREAK CLUB CHARTER
ARTICLE I. – NAME
The name of this organization shall be the OU Fast Break Club, hereinafter referred to as “Fast Break Club” or the “Organization”.
ARTICLE II. – AUTHORITY
The Fast Break Club shall function under this Charter as an organization directed by the officers as authorized by the Board of Directors. The Fast Break Club shall maintain a liaison with the University of Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma Athletics department hereinafter referred to as Athletic Department and is under the auspices of the Athletic Department as one of the athletic support groups.
ARTICLE III. – PURPOSE
The Fast Break Club serves as a support group for the University of Oklahoma Women’s Basketball Program. This support is defined as those activities and assistance which may be initiated by the officers and/or at the request of the coach or the Director of Operations.
The Fast Break Club and its membership shall comply with all federal, state and local laws and all NCAA, Big 12 Conference and University of Oklahoma rules and regulations applicable to such organizations. The Fast Break Club shall assist the Athletic Department in its compliance programs and in the dissemination of compliance education information.
ARTICLE IV. – MEMBERSHIP
1. Membership. Membership is open to any person who wishes to support the University of Oklahoma Women’s Basketball Program.
2. Membership Year. The membership year shall begin on July 1 of the calendar year and end on June 30th of the next calendar year.
3. Membership Fees. Membership fee shall be one hundred dollars ($100.00) annually. Membership fees may be changed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors (defined herein).
4. Membership Benefits. Members shall receive newsletters, flyers, and brochures as the officers and the Director of Operations deem appropriate. Members shall also have the opportunity to participate in Fast Break Club activities and offer assistance in accordance with this Charter as deemed appropriate by the officers and the Director of Operations.
ARTICLE V. – INCOME AND DISBURSEMENTS
1. Income. All monies donated or paid to the Fast Break Club, shall be used for the support of the University of Oklahoma Women’s Basketball program. Monies collected or received shall be forwarded to the Athletic Department for deposit of these monies in the University of Oklahoma Foundation (Foundation). The Foundation and the Athletic Department Donor Division will maintain a record of income and disbursement. 2. Disbursements. Disbursements from the Foundation account must be authorized by the Athletic Director or his designee. The Fast Break Club, through its officers, can provide suggestions for disbursements. All disbursements must have the approval of the Athletic Director or his designee. Each disbursement request shall be signed by the Athletic Director or his designee.
ARTICLE VI. – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. Membership. The Board of Directors shall consist of elected officers and not more than fifteen general members. Should Board of Directors membership fall below a total of twenty members, nominations to fill vacancies may be made by Board of Directors members and shall be appointed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
2. Duties of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall be responsible for the election of Fast Break Club officers in accordance with the procedures set forth below in Article VIII. Additionally, the Board of Directors shall have all authority and duties necessary and convenient to carry out the operations of the Fast Break Club consistent with this Charter.
3. Removal from the Board of Directors. A member of the Board of Directors may be removed upon the member’s resignation submitted to the President, for continued absence from scheduled meeting, or by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors members in attendance at a scheduled Board of Directors meeting.
4. Term. Members shall serve for a term of one year and there is no limit to the number of terms a member may serve.
ARTICLE VII. – DUTIES OF OFFICERS (EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE)
1. President. The President shall preside at all meetings and, appoint all committee Chairs which may include but is not restricted to Social, Nominations, Merchandising, Travel, and Membership. The President shall serve as an ex officio member of all subcommittees and conduct official correspondence as authorized by the officers or the Executive Committee. The President is a nonvoting member of the organization; however, the President shall vote in the case of a tie.
2. First Vice-President. The First Vice-President shall assist the President, and in the absence of the President shall have all powers and prerogatives of the President.
3. Second Vice-President. The Second Vice President shall assist the President and First Vice- President and in the absence of the First Vice-President shall serve in that capacity and in the absence of both the President and the First Vice-President shall have all the powers of the President. Treasurer. The Treasurer shall review all fiscal transactions of the organization, make regular reports to the Board of Directors and maintain these reports.
4. Secretary. The Secretary shall record all proceedings and resolutions of the organization, including the Executive Committee, and shall maintain such records. The Secretary shall conduct correspondence and issue notices of meetings as directed by the President .
ARTICLE VIII. – NOMINATIONS, ELECTIONS, RESIGNATION AND REPLACEMENT OF OFFICERS
1. Nomination and Election of Officers. Nominations for Fast Break Club officers shall be made by the nominating committee appointed by the President. Elections shall require a majority vote of the Board of Directors in attendance at the Board of Directors meeting scheduled for elections.
2. Resignation and Replacement. If the President resigns, or for any other reason cannot fulfill the term of office, the First Vice-President shall become President. Other vacancies will be filled by a vote called by the President.
3. Removal. An officer who does not fulfill the duties of the office or who conducts Fast Break Club business in a manner contrary to this Charter may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the members of the Board of Directors present at a regular or called meeting. The officer must be notified of the intention for removal from office at least ten calendar days prior to the meeting.
ARTICLE IX. – MAJORITY AND VOTING
1. Majority. A majority vote as used in this charter shall mean a simple majority of those members in attendance at the scheduled meeting.
2. Voting. Voting shall be by a voice vote, show of hands, or secret ballot as deemed necessary or appropriate by the President.
ARTICLE X. – MEETINGS
The regular meetings of the Board of Directors of the Fast Break Club shall be at least two: a fall meeting and the election of officers at the spring meeting. Other meetings may be scheduled as deemed necessary or appropriate by the President and/or the other officers.
ARTICLE XI. – AMENDMENTS, ALTERATIONS, ANNULMENTS AND SUSPENSION OF THE CHARTER
1. Proposal to Amend, Alter or Suspend the Charter. Said proposal shall be presented in writing to the Secretary who shall arrange for copies to be sent to Board of Directors at least ten calendar days prior to the called meeting at which time the proposal will be read and discussed. Said proposal shall not be subject to a vote at this initial meeting.
2. Voting upon the Proposal. Amendments, alterations to, annulments or suspensions of the Charter shall be made only at a regular or called meeting of the Board of Directors by a two-thirds affirmative vote of the members present. Said vote to amend, alter, annul or suspend the Charter will be conducted at the next called meeting of the Board of Directors after said proposal has been presented, read and discussed under the above section.
ARTICLE XII. – RULES OF ORDER
The Rules of Parliamentary Procedure, as laid down in “Robert’s Rules of Order” shall govern all meetings of the organization, Executive Committee and Sub-committees.
FBC Charter 3-05-2013.pdf